Saturday, June 29, 2013

Physical Work is Good

What a busy day!  I had a hair appointment first thing this morning and then I went to the cemetery to put a shepherd's hook above Ed's grave (so I could hang the pot of flowers I had on the ground).  Next was to the hardware store (more poison ivy killer) and then the bank.

My primary task for today was to power wash the back deck.  I had an smaller, electric power washer that I had bought but last year Ed bought a bigger one that runs on gas.  I only used it once or twice last year so I was proud of myself when I found the manual, reviewed how to run the darn thing, and then not only got the deck done, but also the the siding on the porch and one side of the garage (yes, just one side for now).

Next up I took an axe to an old tree stump.  That felt good.  One stump is gone (I was able to pull it out and then dug some dirt in the back to fill the hole).  The other stump is not totally gone, but I chopped it down lower.  I'll give it some time to rot on it's own and then I'll swing my axe again!

I then decided to try to figure out the gas-powered trimmer.  I thanked Ed that he had a can of gas/oil mix and that he labeled it so I knew what it was.  The instructions for the trimmer were on it so I again was quite proud when the it started.  Now I wasn't very elegant using it.  I'm still not sure of the best way to angle it, but I did all the trim.  Maybe next time I'll be more efficient.  I also thanked Ed that he bought a "featherlite" since that made it more manageable for me as well.

I then decided to mow the lawn.  The weed whacking tired me out so I figured sitting on the tractor and mowing was a way to rest!  I got all the mowing done including the trimming with the hand mower.  I then cleaned the mower deck on the tractor.  What a mess that was!  I don't think Ed ever cleaned it.  Of course, when I was done, I laughed because if Ed was here, he probably would have just removed the deck from the mower and that would have made it much easier to clean.  Oh well.  Got to give him something to laugh about!

Somewhere in there I also weeded one of the flower beds, started Ed's truck, swept the garage, and cleaned the bathroom.  The best thing is just as I got done putting everything away, the rain came!  Perfect timing!!

But, boy, am I pooped!  And I'm sure tomorrow I'm going to be sore.  But I have to say being physically busy is a good thing.  I did miss Ed though when I'm doing this work because most of it are things he would have done.  I wonder why I never helped him before?  It probably would have made his job easier.  And I wonder what I did with all my time?  I probably spent more time cleaning the house or doing laundry or going shopping.  But I also know we just spent time together.

Taking care of a house is a lot of work.  I hope Ed is proud of what I am doing and proud that I stepped up and took on this work that he has done forever.  I know I'm proud of what I'm accomplishing.  I would just rather that Ed was here instead...

The garden is growing.

Grass out front is filling in.

Glad I have a riding mower to do the front...
 
...and the side...
 
...and the back!
 
I hope this would make Ed smile...our home.
(Of course, he would have a lot more flowers around the house.  Maybe next year.)

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...