Saturday, June 15, 2013

Doing Yard Work and Remembering Ed

I am still in awe of the precious and thoughtful gift from Dan.  So many thoughts cross my mind.  When I started this blog I never really thought about where we would end up.  It started as a way to share with family and friends how Ed was doing after his diagnosis.  Since Ed has passed, I have found myself reading old posts more often.  What were we up to a year ago? two years ago?  How was Ed feeling?  Were there signs his health was declining?  And there were times when it crossed my mind that the only place this blog existed was in cyberworld and should I somehow back it up?  And so what a gift to have it saved in good, ole print form to last a lifetime.  Something I'll hold dear forever as I know Dan will too.  Of course, if I knew he was going to put it in print form, I would have gone back and proofed and edited what I wrote!

So today was a good and busy day.  Dan and I went out and bought some patio blocks so we could put them under where the picnic table was.  It was driving me nuts that the table was half on the patio and half on the lawn, so we decided to extend the patio.  It was hard labor but we worked together and got it done.  I'm sure Ed would not have approved how we were doing it--he was such a perfectionist--but we got the job done and we didn't do half bad.  Dan wants to continue to make the patio larger but we had enough for at least today.

Dan then went out for the evening and I did some more weeding.  I thought of Ed often because he spent a lot of time working in the yard.  I try to recall what I would have been doing when he was outside working.  Maybe it was cleaning the house, doing laundry or running errands.  I know I didn't help him much with the yard and I regret that now.  But I'd like to think he is looking down and is satisfied with the job we're doing.  I know I am.  And I know I will sleep well tonight after such physical labor today but I also know I'll sleep well because Dan is home.

The work begins

....during...

....after!

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...