Sunday, June 9, 2013

Capturing Happy Moments

I've decided to post my next blog message a bit early because my day got better and I want to share this with you before things change.  I mean, maybe they won't and I'll go to bed satisfied after a hard day of labor and I will fall asleep with happy memories of Ed and not with tears running down my face.  We can only hope.  But in case this moment passes too quickly, I want to capture it.

This afternoon I spent working in the yard.  I did the hand mowing and then decided to mow the side and back yard with the riding mower.  I then put away bird feeders (although I will miss the birds in the morning) and put out lawn ornaments.  I started Ed's truck and let that run for a bit and I cleaned the mowers before I put them away.  I did some weeding and some planting and as I was coming in for the evening, I complimented myself on how nice the yard looked.  It was just too bad I had no one to share it with.

I then came into the house and decided to do some dusting and then I would go take a shower and make some dinner.  As I was dusting the dining room, the front doorbell rang.  I went to see who it was and there, much to my pleasant surprise, was Ed's friend Mike.  Today was field day at Pine Grove and he was delivering baked potatoes from Dagmara for me for dinner!  I was so touched by their thoughtfulness and that Mike drove all the way over from Northampton to deliver them for me.  And he topped it off with a piece of chicken as well so my dinner for tonight was taken care of!

Now you have to understand the story behind Dagmara's potatoes.  For years, on every field day, Ed would bring me home a couple of the baked potatoes.  Most times, I had already had dinner by the time he got home.  Sometimes I would still stuff myself with a potato, other times I would wait til the next day.  One recent field day, I decided I wasn't going to have dinner before Ed got home.  Instead I was going to wait for Dagmara's famous baked potatoes.  I was so excited when Ed got home, but he was emptied handed...no potatoes!  I asked where they were...I thought he was pulling my leg; he couldn't believe the one time he didn't bring them home, I was actually waiting dinner for them.  Well, Ed never heard the end of that and he even told Dagmara how he got in trouble because he didn't bring home the potatoes (even after she told him to bring some home!)!

So supposedly they had their field day today and I got a special delivery of Dagmara's baked potatoes!  How sweet of Dagmara to think of me and how sweet of Mike to bring them to me.  I am so touched by their thoughtfulness and the wonderful surprise just in time for dinner too!

And to top it all off, Mike made a comment on how good the yard looked!!  After all my hard work, someone was there to notice and provide an unsolicited compliment.  Both of these things were the highlight of my day.  So thank you Mike and thank you Dagmara.  Ed truly had wonderful friends and now I am blessed to have you in my life as well!  You two are the best!!  And on that positive note, I'm publishing this evening's blog post.

Below I'm included some pictures of my yard.  I think I've done Ed proud.

Backyard looking pretty good (with the shed we built in the fall).

Our garden.

Side yard.

Front yard.

Side yard near the garage.

Our special garden in Ed's memory.

Two of my favorite lawn ornaments.  And they just happen to be from Larry!

I love the smell of the peonies.  How lucky I am that Ed left beautiful flowers in our yard for me to enjoy!

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...