Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Colonoscopy Day

Well I slept pretty good last night.  I had the regular waking up an hour later, but then I did pretty well during the night and didn't get up at all until my alarm went off at 5 AM.

I then dragged myself downstairs to finish the last 5 ounces of that lovely, magnesium citrate.  I alternated sips of that with sips of black coffee and another 16 ounces of water and finished it all by the required 6:15 AM.  I think when all was said and done, I drank about 160 ounces of clear liquid (not including the magnesium).  But I finished it all with no major problems. Then one final BM and I showered and got ready to go.

Of course I weighed myself this morning and I lost 4 pounds!  I'm hoping this will inspire me to get back on track with diet and exercising.  We'll see...I'll probably gain the 4 pounds back by the end of the day!
Anyhow, my mother arrived shortly after 7 to take me to my 7:30 appointment.  Once I arrived, they brought me back to get me admitted.  The IV went in fine and an admittance nurse came in to ask more questions.  We were doing fine until she asked who my emergency contact was.  I really had never thought about that--I never had to think about that in 30+ years.  So I listed my mother and then that poor nurse couldn't understand why I was suddenly crying and unable to provide a phone number.

She was so sweet though when I explained the Ed had passed in late April and he had colon cancer and he had been there 3+ years earlier for his colonoscopy.  She let me take my time and she held my hand and said soothing words.  Nurses are so sweet.

And then later, our angel from 3.5 years ago, Marty A., came in to see me.  If you go back and read one of our first blog postings, Marty is a nurse who always appeared during Ed's crises and she was there when Ed had his colonoscopy and we were told it was cancer.  And here she was again with me and she understood how difficult doing this was for me and reassured that this was the right thing to do and that Ed was there with me.  We talked briefly about Ed's good 3 years since his diagnosis and that he really wasn't "sick" until that last month.  And she reminded me that Ed didn't want to be sick.  He was determined to live life and he certainly did that.  She also made a point of telling me to be sure to ask Dr. Tessoni about when Dan should get a colonoscopy.  Marty, our angel on Earth and I know Ed was smiling down since he always liked her and I was blessed to see her this morning as well.

So then off they bring me to the procedure room.  The nurse explained everything to me and hooked me up to monitors.  She said that if there's any discomfort to let them know and they'll give me more of the pain meds.  Dr. Tessoni then came in to talk to me and I told him about Ed--who he remembered seeing in the hospital in April.  We talked about Dan and I informed him of Larry's pancreatic cancer as well.  So, Dr. Tessoni said to wait and see the results of my colonoscopy and then he'd make a recommendation regarding Dan.

I turned on my left side, facing the monitor, and the last thing I really remember is joking that whatever was up on the monitor (which actually was nothing) looked pretty good to me.  And then that was it.  I vaguely recall seeing some things on the monitor (or maybe I'm imagining that).  Then the next thing I know I'm in recovery and they're asking me if I'd like some ginger ale or juice.  So the procedure itself was totally uneventful (except for my crying beforehand!).  My mother came back to recovery so when they gave me the results she would be there to listen as well (since they forewarned me that I may not remember).  However, I remember his words but it also wrote them on the discharge paper:

"No cancer, no polyps, congrats!  I will contact you in 10 years for another exam."

Hallelujah! I was so thankful!

There was some slight cramping after I got home but that has since gone away.  And heeding everyones advise, I spent the first hour or so at home sitting outside on the back deck with my eyes closed and just resting and soaking in the sun.

Such a relief to have this behind me and I know Ed is happy as well.

So all-in-all...it was not so bad. And anyone who's reading this and has been avoiding having a colonscopy, I encourage you to do so.  The procedure was not a problem at all.  And the prep, although the worse part of it all, I tolerated pretty well.  If there were polyps, he would have dealt with them and I would be going back in 5 years.

But there were no polyps or cancer and everything looks good!  So I'm happy and looking forward to maybe things are turning around now.  I hope so.

Thank you God!

1 comment:

Valarie said...

Jeanne, I love you..and your blog. After reading this, you have motivated me to get my own colonoscopy. How exciting!! :)

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...