Monday, July 1, 2013

Grief Remains

I have come to the realization that no matter how busy I keep myself and how much I work to keep my mind distracted, grief remains.

There are many times in our lives that we hope that if we ignore something, it will just go away.

So if I make myself lists of things to do and if I keep myself busy doing "things", maybe I can ignore the grief.  But I realize that I can't.  As soon as I stop and my mind quiets, the grief springs up to remind me that it's still there.

I do try to focus on all the good memories, but when grief taps me on the shoulder, I get that knot in my stomach that rises to my throat and the sadness envelopes me and the tears begin to flow.

As you know, I have gotten back to the routine of walking outside.  Now I did start jogging a year or so ago.  Partly to try to outrun the bugs, partly to get my workout over with sooner, and partly because last year I had a goal to complete a 5K.  Since Ed passed, even going back to walking outside took a bit.  This morning I started jogging again--partly to try to outrun the bugs, partly to try to outrun the grief.  And as my breathing labored, that is all I heard and so it helped me ignore the grief.

As I finished my run and rested to catch my breath, the sweat poured down my body.  The tears from my eyes blended with the sweat and I felt like my whole body was crying.  And grief has come to visit and as the tears and sweat flow, it is released and I'm ready to begin another day.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...