Sunday, May 19, 2013

Not Enough Time in the Day

I know I'm late in posting a message this morning.  I was determined this morning to get bills paid and to write out more thank you notes before I did anything else.  I have to say I am still amazed and touched at the outpouring of love and support from so many people.  It does warm my heart and I hope my appreciation shows through in the thank you notes I send.

Yesterday I thought was a productive day but as I look back, although I was busy all day, it probably didn't amount to all that much.  I learned how to operate the riding mower!  Yeah!!  Of course, then I let Dan use it to mow the lawn while I raked and cleaned up behind the house and then I did the hand mowing.  I don't mind the hand mowing--makes it feel more like exercise.  I then cleaned off both mowers before putting them away.  I'm sure Ed was up there shaking his head at me.

There is so much to do though.  Ed and I had such a balance--he took care of the yard and the outside and I took care of the inside.  A typical Saturday, he would have been mowing while I did shopping or dusted and vacuumed.  Or I might have been outside doing hand trimming or cleaning screens.  So I miss him when I'm doing jobs that used to be his.  But I am so thankful that Dan is here to take care of some of this because I don't know how I would get everything done.

But, hmmm....what else did I do all day?  Oh, that's right...I did have a hair appointment in the morning and I did go to choir/Mass in the afternoon.  Then I hit the grocery store.  I'm amazed at my grocery bill--how can it be so high for one person?  But then I realize that I'm shopping for both me and Dan.  Since he is home every weekend, I tend to get him things to take back with him as well so he is all set for the week too.

I have so much that I want to get done but there's just not enough time in the day.  I want to plant my vegetables, spread mulch, visit friends and family that are in rehab, and also spend time with Dan.  The weekends are just too short and the weekdays are taken up with work.  And I know spending time with people I love is the most important thing--so I should make time to go visit with folks--but I am also feeling overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done around the house.  I just wish I had more time in the day.  And it annoys me that there are things I can't do during the weekend--like return phone calls or pick out Ed's grave marker.  I will just need to learn to block out time during my workweek to do these things.  I'm just not used to that since Ed was always the one who took care of things that had to happen during the workday.

But I'm trying to find a balance.  I am looking forward to next weekend--a three-day weekend.  Maybe this extra time will help me feel more caught up or maybe even have some "down" time?  Time will tell.

For now though I'm going to try to get some things done around the house and make the most of the day.  I hope you do as well. 

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...