Saturday, May 25, 2013

No More Pain

It is with great sadness that I share that Larry passed yesterday afternoon.  The only comforting thoughts are that his pain has ended and that I know that Ed was there to meet him when he passed.  Larry was in such great pain the past few weeks and even the morphine they gave him did not give him relief.  I am in shock at how quickly this happened, but the similarities in his final weeks and days to what Ed experienced were so similar that it is eerie.  And the only comfort you can get is knowing that the loved one you saw in such pain and suffering is now at peace.  And I believe, as I did with Ed, that when death came, that they felt warmth and comfort and peace.  For they did not grieve the lost of the loved ones they would be leaving behind, but instead were welcoming the warmth and love of the loved ones who were waiting to greet them.

And at this time, there are two things I realize.  #1:  That I have been so blessed my entire life.  As I look back over my entire life, with the exception of my father's passing, my life has been blessed by many years of happiness.  Sure there were small things throughout life but overall, life has been good to me and my family.  Even Ed's cancer diagnosis, although shocking and scary initially, we were blessed with another great three years of good times.  But the last three months have been more overwhelming and enough grief to make up for my lifetime.

In March, I lost my brother, at age 51, without warning.  He was fine one moment and passed the next.  In April, I lost Ed, at age 60, after three+ years with cancer but within four weeks of complications that landed him in the hospital.  And now in May, Larry, at age 55, after only three weeks of being in the hospital and receiving a cancer diagnosis.  All different.  And this is where I realize #2:  that there is no "good" way to die.  Each one is different and no one way is better than the other.  But instead we are reminded that any one of us could be taken at any moment.  So live your life with no regrets.  Treat others with respect and always, always, leave loved ones with loving words, because it truly could be the last time you see them.

And I ask at this time that you keep Ed's family in your prayers and thoughts, especially his sister Mary who was by Larry's side this whole time and who now has lost both her brothers to cancer.  How quickly our lives change.

Larry, may you rest in peace.  And don't you, Ed, Mike, Billy, and our fathers get too rowdy up there.  We want to be sure you're there to greet us when it's our time to join you.

God bless you all and the rest of our family and friends.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...