Thursday, May 16, 2013

Special Blessed People

I have not seen Dr. Bowers since one of those last days in the hospital.  He came practically every morning to see Ed and, yes, he was Ed's doctor, but there was a caring relationship there as well.  From Day 1, Ed always liked Dr. B.  He also really liked the staff at Dr. B's...from Naomi who took his blood every two weeks, from Roberta ("Roxanne" as Ed would like to call her) at the front desk, and the nurses Shayne and the Karens.  After Ed passed, Dr B. called me and I couldn't take his call at the time because Dan and I were in the process of picking out Ed's casket.  But he left me a voice mail, and I have saved this message since he left caring, thoughtful words.

Anyhow, I wanted to say "thank you" to Dr B. and all of the staff at Hampshire Hematology Oncology.  So I ordered an Edible Arrangement for them and decided I would deliver it personally.  I picked yesterday--a Wednesday, because Wednesday was the day Ed would typically go for treatment (so he could go play golf that afternoon).

I arrived at Cooley just after 9.  It is strange, but I find such a familiarity and comfort as I drive that familiar route and I arrive at the hospital.  As I pull up to the hospital, I follow the same path as when Ed was in 3 North but yesteray morning I park in the lot for Oncology.  The same lot Ed parked in every 2 weeks for 3 years.  I did not go to every one of Ed's appointments--it wasn't necessary.  But I did go when he was getting the results of his CT scan.  We frequently drove separately so I could leave once he was situated in the infusion room.

As I walked in, I walked through the Healing Garden.  The same Healing Garden where I would sit on the bench in the warm sun while I waited for Ed.  These were the times when I would arrive from work and surprise him to join him for his appointment.  The same Healing Garden I looked down upon when Ed was in the CCU and I would stand in the windowed connector hallway to make phone calls.  Yesterday, I looked up and noticed this windowed hallway...something I never really noticed before.

I waited a few minutes to see Dr. Bowers.  While waiting, Augie (the therapy dog) came slowly down the hall.  Now, Augie will occasionally make his rounds to see everyone.  He slowly walks around, stops for a pat on the head, and keeps moving.  He has never been one to hang out with a particular person and he usually finds a place at the end of the hall or under a waiting room chair to lie down.

Yesterday morning, Augie headed up the hall towards me.  Now I fully expected him to either walk right past me or simply stop, pause, and then keep moving.  He passed another patient in the hall who gave the usual "Hi Augie", and Augie kept walking (typical).  He paused at my feet and let me pet him.  Since I didn't have any kind of treat for him, I expected him to keep moving.  But instead, he stayed and let me pet him for quite a while.  And then he did the totally unexpected and laid down at my feet.  Of course, that brought tears to my eyes.  I'm not sure what Augie knew, but he knew something was different and he stayed with me, laying at my feet, until Dr. Bowers arrived.

It was good to see Dr. Bowers and we hugged a few times and chatted for a few minutes.  He is such a caring man.  And I saw Shayne and Karen--more hugs.  Such a wonderful group of people who Ed cared for and who cared for Ed--both physically and emotionally.  I don't know how they do what they do everyday.  I said I would stay in touch and I truly hope I do.  They are truly blessed, special people and I am thankful Ed had them during his treatment and that I have them still now to help me as well.

An old picture of Augie
 
The Healing Garden

The bench I sat on several times while waiting for Ed.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...