Thursday, May 23, 2013

Angels on Earth

Do you know what yesterday was?  I almost did not realize it...  The one-month anniversary of Ed's passing.  Funny that every Monday, I count the number of weeks since Ed passed.  And on every Friday, I count the number of weeks since Ed's funeral.  But May 22nd--a Wednesday--snuck up on me as the "one-month" mark.  And just like that, we go from counting weeks to beginning to count months.  But I am not sadden by this.  But rather I am touched by the thoughtfulness and care of a woman I work with who reminded me of the significance of this day with her caring and thoughtful words yesterday.  I was even more touched when I arrived home late last night to find a card in the mail from her with kind, loving words.

It is people like this that I am so amazed and touched by.  Their thoughtfulness and caring is tremendous and I truly believe this particular woman is an angel on earth (and her mother would be so proud of what a wonderful daughter she raised!).  Throughout this entire ordeal, she has always been there, quietly in the background, sending notes of support, just taking care of things at work so I could focus on Ed.  She is truly a remarkable woman who puts so much into work but also devotes the time and energy to think of others as well.  And I am reminded that in this crazy world that we are living in, it is the people in our lives and being caring to others that is important.  And at much as the busy-ness of work and life can distract us at times, I am reminded how thankful I am for all the people I work with who really care about each other.  That is what is important--the people in our lives.

So it was without question last night that I headed down to Baystate Hospital after work to see my brother-in-law Larry.  For, yes, after a short stint in rehab, he is back in the hospital with complications as a result of the pancreatic cancer that he was just diagnosed with earlier this month.  Again, respecting his privacy, I will not go into details in this blog.  But he is tired and in such pain.  I spoke with his sister Mary yesterday morning and it was good to talk to her.  And it's very unfortunate that my "experience"--that one month with Ed in the hospital--I can now use to advise her.  As she tells me about Larry, there is such similarity and familiarity with what Ed went through.  I can't do anything to ease Larry's pain or make things better.  But what I can do, just as others with "experience" did for me, is impart my experiences and knowledge.

When Ed was in the hospital, there was a former colleague of mine who I reached out to and he was so helpful to me because he was "experienced" having traveled this path with his own spouse.  His advise and input was helpful to me and I was and still am so thankful for that and him.  And now it is my turn to play this role with Ed's sister and help her navigate this world of cancer and medical care and attempting to make the right decisions.  And I'm sorry that any of us have to be "experienced" at this at all.

Last night I also spoke to my dear friend Anna who is thankfully now home after her surgery and a short time in rehab.  A bright spot and someone who is feeling better and doing better.  It was so good to hear her voice.  Anna and I have known each other for a number of years and her husband Bob passed in February.  So not only did we talk about all the things we typically would talk about, but we also talked about Bob and Ed and it was comfortable and good.

So this morning I am thankful for all the wonderful people in my life.  I am blessed to be surrounded by so many friends, family, and colleagues who are thoughtful, kind, and loving.  And for that I am very thankful.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...