Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chemo Treatment #4

This past Tuesday, January 26th, was Ed's 4th chemo treatment and it was all "normal". Nothing unusual, nothing different, . . . We are getting used to this routine. We arrive at Cooley around 8:30 for blood work, then meet with Dr. Bowers, then into the infusion suite for the chemo. The staff to Hampshire Hemotology are great--all very nice and helpful. We still think highly of Dr. Bowers and love his oncology nurses as well, in particular "the wonderful" Shayne. Augie was there to greet us again, I just haven't been able to get a picture of him yet.

Thankfully, I'm still able to join Ed for his treatments (because my supportive and understanding supervisor and employer!). Ed doesn't really need me there for the treatment. He reads the paper while I work on my laptop and afterwards he could definitely drive himself home. However, I like to be there when Ed meets with Dr. Bowers to be sure Ed shares all pertinent information and also to hear what Dr. Bowers has to say. This week there wasn't any new news. The chemo seems to be shrinking the tumors on the liver and Ed seems to be responding well (no signs of the cancer getting worse). So we'll continue with the treatment and probably have a CT scan done sometime in the next month (probably around the 6th treatment).

We are very thankful that Ed is having no serious side effects and is beginning to get his energy back. There are no further signs of hair loss. Ed still has occasional swelling in his feet/ankles. Dr. Bowers told him he should elevate his feet during the day (hmmm...where has he heard this before!?) (Grover feel free to yell at him if he doesn't do this while at work!)

Although Dan hasn't updated his blog, he did send me a quick email earlier this week and he seems to be doing well and keeping quite busy. Last weekend he went to Rome for an arch workshop. This weekend I think he's headed to Siena. He's also sharing a TA position with another student. Ed would still like to try to fit in a trip to Italy. Since he's responding so well to the chemo, we might actually entertain this now. We'll see.

I have to say it is a little weird to say Ed has cancer when he has been doing so well. I remember how awful it was when he got the initial diagnosis and now here we are not even 2 months later and he's doing so well that you wouldn't even know he has cancer by looking at him. That is a good thing--don't get me wrong! And it's easy to forget that cancer has entered our lives and so there are times when I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. But for now, we'll live in the moment, and relish the fact that he is responding so well to the treatment and life can continue on fairly normal, at least for the time being.

So thanks for the continual good thoughts and prayers. We appreciate them all.

Waiting in the exam room for Dr. Bowers. Can you believe he actually smiled for me?

This yellow X appears on the back of the exam room doors. What do you think they are for? Note that these are the only doors in the room, so to indicate "exit" doesn't make sense. Any guesses?

On the back of the bathroom door as well. Post your guess and we'll ask Dr. Bowers at one of our upcoming appointments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok - I'll guess first. I think they move the yellow X to the outside of the exam room door if there's a patient undergoing radiation treatment, to alert any staff who might be sensitive to that?

Cate said...

I think they are for emergencies. They would put the x on the door indicating that the room is empty. And doesn't need to be checked.

cme715@yahoo.com said...

My first thought was the same as Theresa's.It has to do with radiation.
Can't wait to find out the answer. And I was good for I could have called my sister-in-law in PA who works for a Dr. or my step-daughter who is a nurse. But, why do that it would take the fun out of the game.

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...