Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cheeese

I'm sitting here staring at a blank screen...what do I write this morning?  I'm trying to think back to yesterday.  What did Dan and I do?  Went through pictures...that's what we did.

Now anyone who knows Ed knows he is not one to smile and pose for pictures.  In fact, he always made fun of me and my sisters on how we could just turn on the smile for the camera.  Tell him to smile for a picture and he'd grit his teeth, turn his head slightly, and say a dragged out "cheeeese" (with a hint of sarcasm).  So as Dan and I went through pictures, we saw plenty of these!  But there were also many candid shots with wide smiles that extended to his eyes reflecting the moment he was enjoying.  There were also the silly poses--if he wasn't going to give you a cheesy-smile, then you'd get a silly face or pose.  But they all were Ed and they all reflected his love for life and for those in his life.

So Dan and I went through many photos and then had to weed them down to select the ones for the video tribute.  We will continue going through these today and assemble a couple photo boards as well.  And it is true, going through photos allows you to remember moments and laugh and smile.  And Dan and I did this.  And there were also tears for what will not be.  But when our thoughts went in that direction, we reminded each other instead to remember and find joy and comfort in what we had.

In particular, Dan and I cherish the memories and photos from over the past three years since Ed's diagnosis.  Since we know and acknowledge that if he was not diagnosed back in December 2009, he would have been taken from us much, much sooner.  So we see the last three years as a gift that we cherish.

The days continue to be long and I don't know how I would do this without Dan.  His father would be so proud of him...

CHEEEESE!






No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...