Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Going for a ride...

Priscilla and Brown Bear
Priscilla and Brown Bear, who have been with Ed in Cooley Dickinson Hospital, took a ride today to Elaine of Hadley!  And, yes, Ed joined them and is there tonight and he was going to sleep for the night when I left.  Hallelujah!  Goal #1 achieved!

Yes, the last two days have been tough and the move to Elaine was swift and a bit rocky, but it was Ed's goal and he achieved it (and we got into the rehab facility we wanted).  So I'm sure over the next few days I'll tell you all the things I don't like or are a problem, but for this moment, I'll enjoy this momentous occasion.

This morning was a fairly good morning for Ed (except that they forgot his breakfast which is never a good way to start your day).  But he woke with energy and even more exciting is that he did great with physical therapy.  He did the leg lifts while in bed, got himself into a sitting position, and then walked beyond the red tape, through the door, and into the hallway!  Unbelieveable.  Of course, he was a bit tired after that, but all-in-all it was great!  I know...in total contrast to yesterday.

I left for work mid-day and so I fully expected the "bad" part of our day to then begin.  While I was away, they did drain 3L of fluid, so that is not slowing down but Ed felt less "full".

The crazy part of our day was at 3:30 when Matt came in to tell Ed he was being transferred to Elaine.  I was at work still but my mother and sister were with Ed and my sister called me right away and so I returned to the hospital right away.

We were quite surprised by this because as you may recall, a few days ago we were told 3 more days in the hospital, so we had Wednesday in our minds.  But now they were saying he's ready to go.  Now there were really no major reasons why we had to wait until Wednesday (except this felt sprung on us this afternoon) and we definitely didn't want to wait and risk losing the bed at Elaine.  So we decided to do it.  Of course there was still the question about the staples on Ed's incision.  Dr. Marvelli did not remove them this morning because he was told Ed was not being transferred until Wed so he was just going to wait until Wed.  Matt ended up taking them out (28 of them).

And we were also told the ambulance would be there at 6:15 to transfer Ed.  Well, I think it was more like 7:15 before they arrived (hospital time is so different than real time).  However, we were forgiving of the delay because Christina (Ed's nurse the first day) was on duty tonite and she came down to give hugs and say goodbye before we left.  So that made sitting around and waiting worth it.
 
Once we arrived at Elaine, though, there were some issues which I'll bore you with tomorrow (hopefully they all will be resolved by tomorrow so my perspective will change).

So today can be categorized as a "good" day overall.   Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Next goal:  For Ed to walk (at least more easily and further than 10 ft).

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...