Saturday, April 13, 2013

Looking at Hospice Options

I am sorry I haven't written.  However, until Dan came home last night and I could talk to him in person, I was limiting my posting on the blog.

Thursday, Ed stayed in the cardiac telemathy room where the NG tube remained in and they gave him medication to ease his pain.  He is very lucid and is very aware of everything that is going on.  The level of pain meds is just enough to keep him alert while also keeping pain at a manageable level.  Dr. Bowers approved Ed receiving pain meds every 15 mins if he wanted them.  Ed told the nurse this and she didn't believe him.  Then she read the report and saw that Ed wasn't joking.  Ed is working with his nurse though to identify the time frame that is right for him though.

On Wednesday while Ed was in the ER, we discussed with the doctors doing a CT scan which would show if there was a need for another surgery.  Ed decided, and I agreed, that he was not going to have any surgery--that his body would not tolerate it and he would not survive it.  The doctors agreed and so we decided against any CT scan.

Thursday Ed and I had some quiet time together and discussed talking more to Dr. Z about hospice options and decided we would do this on Friday.

Thursday night they moved Ed from the cardiac ward to the regular medical/surgical ward (3 North, Room 309).  This was a good thing but it concerned me when I showed up at his room in cardiac on Friday and he wasn't there!

Friday morning I made some phone calls to gather some basic information about hospice and insurance coverage.  I also called work and let them know that I will be "out" and not working for now.  I had been trying to juggle both and at least attempting to put some hours in even working remotely.  But after Wednesday I knew my priority was Ed and that work was not getting the attention I told them I was hoping to give.  Ed was very concerned about this--he worries about me keeping my job--but I reassured him and it wasn't false reassurance.  The folks at work have been great and supportive and I am not really surprised but it is reassuring that I do not need to worry about that right now and can focus on Ed.

Ed and I did meet with Dr. Z.  Of course Ed would like to come home, but his biggest concern is being a burden to others and being sure insurance covers things so I'm not left with some financial burden.  So we discussed home hospice but this would require a fairly regular home aid.  We also discussed Fisher House (who I have to call back this morning) where hospice services will be covered but the room/board may not.

We also met with Ed's attending physician, Dr. McCracken and I told them both that we need them to be straight.  Ed's liver is failing and he is becoming jaundice.  His time is soon (days/weeks).

Please pray for Ed's comfort and that we make the right decisions and that things fall into place so Ed does not need to worry about the logistics or being a burden.





1 comment:

Cait Throop said...

Oh Jeanne...I just read all of April. What a terrible disease cancer is. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hoping Ed is not in pain. I know how awful the pain can be...and the swelling. Are you taking care of you? Resting, eating?? And Dan? Is he there with you both? Please give Ed a gentle hug from me. And thank you for the updates...
Love, Cait

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...