Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Calendar

It's an annual ritual, at this time of year.  Time to unwrap the calendar for the new year.  And I prepare it by writing in birthdays and anniversaries for the year.  I use the current calendar as my reference.  This enables me to include ages and number of years for anniversaries.  It also helps me not forget new birthdays and anniversaries that happened during the year.

There was a noticeable difference this time though.  I was surprised at the number of anniversaries of someone's passing that I needed to include this year.  In previous years, the only one I had included was my father's.  2014 will be 25 years since he passed.  2014 will also mark the 7th anniversary of my brother-in-law Billy's passing.

But as I prepared my 2014 calendar, it shocked me at the number I included from this past year.  And I list them here now as a tribute to them.

January:  Theresa Banas
February:  Bob Donovan
March:  my brother, Michael
April:  Ed
May: my brother-in-law Larry
June: Mike Allen
August: my brother-in-law Billy
December:  my father

As much as I'm happy to say good-bye to 2013 this evening, I approach 2014 with apprehension as this marks the start of a new year in my new life...a new life that I'm unsure about, not thrilled about, but have no choice but to figure out.  And my wish for 2014 is that there are happy moments of celebration that will fill our calendars and that these will outnumber the sad moments.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...