Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas Eve Day

It is Christmas Eve Day and I'm excited and joy-filled and thought maybe I should post something positive on this blog and capture this "good" moment.  I am all ready for Christmas (good thing, huh?) and Dan is home.  He is excited about opening gifts--not for himself, but the gifts he bought for me.  And it reminds me of Ed because he was the same way.  It wasn't about the gifts he was getting, but he was more excited about watching others open the gifts he gave.  And it makes me smile that Dan is the same way.  There is no question that his father lives on through him.

I will be seeing family for Christmas--both Ed's side of the family and mine--and I'm thankful that I have them in my life and that the tradition of spending time with them over the holidays has not changed.  I know others who have lost loved ones and now find themselves unsure of how they will spend Christmas.  I am thankful that although Ed, Mike, and Larry will not be with us this year, we all still will gather and celebrate and remember them as well.

And I have such caring friends and colleagues.  Some of my new friends are those I've met this year because of our common grief and I appreciate that we think of each other often and are there to support each other.  And my colleagues at work are such thoughtful and caring people.  I am blessed by the many people in my life.  And if I haven't learned anything this year, it is the people in our lives that are most important.  Yes, we share gifts as a way to acknowledge our caring and friendship.  So remember that as you open your gifts that is not just the gift itself but the love wrapped up in it as well.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

My picture of Ed with Rudy the Reindeer and the flowers and candle that were gifts from friends.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...