Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Remembrance Services

On Sunday, November 17th, I attended a holiday remembrance service put on by Beers & Story Funeral Home.  It was a lovely service.  There was a level of comfort in knowing we were all there to remember and grieve the loss of a loved one as we approach the holiday time.  As Wendy spoke words of comfort and we listened to beautiful, meditative music, our tears flowed.  And we were comforted knowing it was okay to cry.  That we were all there because we had lost a loved one and today was an opportunity to remember them and grieve together.  They were tears of loss, of hurt, of shared sorrow.  It was a small group of us but in that small group I met three other woman who had lost their husbands this year.  There was comfort in sharing our loss with each other and that awful bond that we now shared.  A light touch of our hand, sharing about the death of our spouse, comforted each of each.

I am so touched by all that Beers & Story did as part of this ceremony.  As they read the name of our loved one, we each got up and lit a candle in their memory...one-by-one.  So poignant.  They gifted us with a plant with the name of our loved one attached as well as a guardian angel pin (which I wear everyday), some rosemary, and pamphlets to help us deal with the holidays.  I never expected such a moving ceremony and such generosity.

On Sunday, November 24th, my mother and I attended a Tree Lighting at Cooley Dickinson Hospital where I made a donation in memory of Ed, Michael, and Larry.  You may recall that the 24th was a freezing cold day with a strong wind.  We stayed outside briefly while a couple woman spoke and then the lights were turned on in the healing garden.  This ceremony, I regretfully say, was not very moving or touching.  The best thing about the day is that my mother and I went out to dinner afterwards at Viva Pasta in Northampton and had a delicious meal!  Oh well, the donation was for a good cause.

The plant from Beers&Story

Trees of Love and Thanksgiving Board in the Main entrance at Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Recognition of the three "lights" I added

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...