Thursday, October 24, 2013

Observations and Coincidences

Dan and I used to joke that big brother was watching us...or rather watching what we were watching on TV.  Coincidentally, we noticed on several occasions how the commercials on TV seemed aligned to things going on in our life.

When Dan was getting ready to go to college, it seemed we continually saw ads for shopping for dorm life and preparing for college.  When we were planning to go on a cruise, it seemed every other commercial was for Norwegian Cruise Line or Carnival.  Ads regarding cancer treatments and colon cancer began to appear with more frequency.  And when Ed was experiencing digestive issues, Mirolax and Ducolax ads were frequently shown.

It's an odd observation and I'm sure it's actually the fact that none of these topics caught my attention previously.  They were about subjects or topics that I was not familiar with.  So maybe I just tuned them out when I couldn't relate?

But this odd "alignment" or observation or whatever you want to call it continues since Ed has passed.

I won't tell you how many times I saw the ad for Beers&Story funeral home earlier this year (haven't seen it since).

Newspaper articles also seem to follow this pattern.  Several months ago there was an article in the paper about women who are single and decide to live together to provide both financial but also physical and emotional support to each other as they get older.  (I'm hoping that's not me!)

Articles about cancer and hospice and bereavement are running rampant.  There was even an article in the paper yesterday about "death cafes" where people can go and talk about death and dying--the taboo topics in our society.

But there are other odd coincidences.

Every year when I go to the beach, I grab a book to read.  I love Sandra Brown, in particular her romance novels (yes, I just divulged to the world that I read romance novels...oh well!).  The problem is I never can remember what I've read or haven't read (yes, because romance novels are all pretty much the same).  So what I do is just pick out one that was written recently and that is what I did this summer and ordered one of her recent books from Amazon.  How ironic that the book ended up being about a widow who lost her husband unexpectedly.  Really?

And every song on the radio seems to be about loss or the words have such strong meaning to me--Cups (Pitch Perfect's "When I'm Gone"); Pink's "Just Give Me a Reason"; and in particular Rihanna's "Stay".  I turn off the radio since I can't listen to them.

Even TV shows...  A recent Glee episode had Kurt and his father talking about the passing of Kurt's mother.  His father said he would give 50 years of late-night arguments about trivial matters to have 10 more minutes with her next to him and, when it comes down to it, we only get a few days with our loved ones.  Even last night, Criminal Minds--a show I rarely watch--dealt with Hotch undergoing surgery and during this time having "visions" about his late wife.  And as they were parting she says to him "Happiness is a choice" and she proceeds to tell him he should be happy; he has a right to be happy.

There are so many other coincidences and they all don't come to mind right now.  But when they occur, I may pause, I may laugh at the irony of it all, or I may ponder...such as last night.  Am I not choosing to be happy?  I'd rather think that it's just very difficult right now to fathom happiness and what that looks like without Ed.  But I digress...

The point of this posting is to just share the odd coincidences in life.  I'm not sure what it means or if there is any meaning at all...rather it's simply an observation.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...