Monday, January 20, 2014

Small Pleasures

It's a three-day weekend and I love it!  Time to do the usual chores--laundry, cleaning, etc.--add some special projects on top, and still have some downtime.  Next weekend, though, will be full and so I'll be pissing and moaning next week!

For now, though, I"ll enjoy.  I did not expect to get 5" of snow Saturday night and therefore cleaning the driveway and decks was not on my original list.  But I got up and got it done.  I love the snow blower that Ed bought last year and I thank him for his every time I use it.  I couldn't understand last year why he needed a new snow blower.  I mean, he had a plow!  Now I know and I'd like to think, at some level, he knew it would make my life easier.

I did some organizing in Ed's workshop.  I'm sure he's freaking a bit at what I'm tossing out, but in his last days he did apologize to me for not finishing cleaning up his workshop.  And I'm sure he's amused at seeing the my woman's touch in his workshop.  Yesterday's was the small, 5-drawer storage container I bought to organize small nails, etc.

The snow is still clinging to trees this morning and the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.  I've refilled the bird feeders (again, something Ed always did) and the cardinals are back.  I had wondered if I would ever see anything other than chickadees, titmouses, and sparrows.  But both the male and female cardinal are back and there were goldfinches as well.

And I actually have plants that are thriving which is a miracle.  Ed had the green thumb and my hope is just to not kill the plants.  The poinsettia is doing well; the begonia has blossomed; and I'm most proud that the orchid Dan gave me on Mother's Day is flowering again as well.  I'm learning...

The cardinal is back!

Haven't killed it yet.

Blossoms on my Begonia!

Have actually got my Orchid to reflower!



No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...