Saturday, September 28, 2013

A Good Week

This week was the annual King of the Grove tournament at Pine Grove Golf Course.  Ed was (and still is) the only three-time "King" with his last crowning being in 2012.  Tradition is that the King needs to organize the event for the following year.  Before he passed, Ed asked his golf partner Mike to take over this responsibility this year and Dan volunteered to help as well.

The King of the Grove is for the Wednesday night handicap league.  Tradition has been that it is held the Wednesday after the league ends--which would have been 9/18 this year.  Because I was traveling on business and would not have been able to go on 9/18, the guys all agreed to wait until this past week (9/25) instead.  This touched my heart since they all unanimously agreed to postpone as well as did Gil and Shirley who own the course.

Wednesday was a special day.  It was a day I was looking forward to and it made me so happy.

Dan came home so he could play.  He teamed up with Ed's good friends and golf partners Mike L. and Joe A. and Mike's new partner, Rick.  And Mike's wife, Deb, agreed to collect money and keep me company.  So as Dan headed out to play 9 holes, me, Deb, Shirley, and Dagmara stayed at the clubhouse and watched the guys as they came in.

Dagmara had promised Ed she would have a Polish dinner this year in his honor and she delivered delicious pierogis and golumpkis.  The food was good, the company was good, and the guys toasted Ed several times.  Many people donated towards the raffle--Ed would be proud--this is something he helped build to what it is today.  And I met and recognized names of people Ed mentioned over the years.  How I wish he was here today to fill in the blanks for me though.

Most touching was the memorial plaque they did for Ed.  The guys in the handicap league all donated and Mike and Steve organized it and got the plaque made.  Gil found the perfect rock, mounted the plaque, and moved it to the 10th hole.  It truly brought tears to my eyes.  The words they inscribed touched my heart.  And they located this on the 10th hole because it has a beautiful view and you can see the plaque from the clubhouse.  Gil and Shirley are even taking steps to ensure that if the golf course is ever sold, our family would get this memorial.  What good, kind people.  What more could you ask for.

I wish I had gone previously to Pine Grove to meet Ed's friends.  Yes, I knew Mike and Deb and Dagmara but not the rest of them.  Gil and Shirley have been so kind to me and Dan.  And all the guys in the league have been welcoming of me.  Dan did golf with most of them last year, so he knew some of them.  But as I sat on the deck of the clubhouse watching the guys on the 18th hole, I realize I never saw Ed play golf.  How nice it would have been if I had seen him even once coming in on the 18th hole.  But Pine Grove was his place with his friends.  A place he belonged to for more years than I can count (I know it had to be at least 20 years).  And at the time, I had a million things I'd rather be doing than watching someone play golf.  If only I knew...

But I hope he was looking down at all of us Wednesday night and pleased that Dan and I were there among his friends.  I never knew how much of a "family" they all were and how much they all really, really liked Ed.  I don't think Ed realized it either.  At least, if he did, he never mentioned it to me.  I think he would be touched beyond words on what a positive and lasting impression he had on all of them.  And I know that he was happy that Dan and I were there, representing him, and making him proud.  I know this because he was always so proud of both of us and bragged about us to anyone who would listen and so I know Wednesday would not have been any different.

So rate Wednesday and this week as a good one.

Shirley's fall display outside the clubhouse wearing the King's crown.


Beautiful view from the deck of the clubhouse.



Dagmara getting the food ready.  (Don't tell her I posted this picture!)



Ed's memorial plaque on the 10th hole.


The plaque...


The foursome (Mike, Joe, Dan, and Rick) coming around on the 18th hole.

Dan

Joe

Mike

All four of them (Rick, Dan, Joe, Mike)

Sitting on the deck.  Cinnamon for some reason really liked Joe!
 
Lots of raffle prizes donated!

Johnny Pratt and Steve crowning this year's King.

2013 King of the Grove





1 comment:

Unknown said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I can truely see him smiling down at all of you with the sheepish grin that he had. :)

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...