Sunday, December 16, 2012

An Exciting Week

Wow--what a week it has been!

I am thrilled to share that Dan got a full-time job in his field of study (architecture).  He interviewed on Friday, December 7th, was offered a job and accepted it by the 11th, and starts on Tuesday, 12/18.  He'll be working at Donald Lang Architects in Waban (Newton), MA, as an Architectural Designer.  Waban is about 1.5 hrs from here so he will be staying with his friend Nate and his family in Beverly until he can find a place of his own.

So this past week, Dan has been working full-time at ES (he usually only works 18-20 hrs) since he was only able to give a 1-week notice.  On top of that we've been trying to find a place for him to live and he has also been trying to get ready for Christmas since he now has less time for that than originally planned.  It is all good though.

I am sorry to report that Dan and Cassie have broken up.  They have been together for about 3.5 (almost 4) years.  The past 1.5 yrs have been tough on them as they have been apart (Cassie in NY and Dan in RI then at home).  I wish them both the best--they are both sweet people and I hope they still remain friends since they so enjoyed each other's company and doing things together.  But both their lives have changed since graduating college and that just makes it tough.

And in more bad news, Wednesday night Ed called me at work to let me know Dan needed to go to the ER.  He dropped a sheet of glass on his foot and it landed on the top of his left foot giving him a good gash (yes, he was barefoot).  Our neighbor Kay (retired ER nurse) came over and confirmed it needed stitches and she wrapped it up and called her friends at the Mary Lane ER to let them know we were on our way.  It required 5 stitches and thankfully Dan is getting around fine with it--just needs to change the bandage daily and then get stitches out in 7-10 days (which we're trying to figure out since he'll be in Newton/Beverly and then it's Christmas).


Dan at Mary Lane ER waiting for the doctor.


Ed had another treatment this past week and continues to experience stomach pain but he's trying to cope although it is slowing him down and he's tired and having some level of pain most days.  I'm trying to be patient, but anyone who knows me, knows I'm not the most patient person in the world (poor Ed).

Of course, as much as I was beginning to think I needed less drama in my life, the events in Newtown, CT unfolded Friday and put my life in perspective.  As with many of you, we are deeply saddened by this tragic event and we are reminded to hold our loved ones closer and cherish each day.  May God bless the victims of that tradegy and may their families be comforted by our prayers.

Today we put up our tree so it's beginning to feel a bit more like Christmas around here.  It will be so odd not having Dan with us this week, but he'll be home next weekend and thankfully has both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off so he'll be home from Friday night and go back Wednesday early morning (he'll drive right to work).  We have loved having him home with us this past year and I keep reminding myself that we're lucky he's "only" 1.5 hrs away.

If I don't get a chance to write again in the next week, may you have a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...