Sunday, May 6, 2012

Welcome May

I love May.  I guess it's because it means Spring has arrived.  Of course, it is also the month in which Dan was born and there's Mother's Day as well...so it's always a special time of year.  So bright and sunny and a happy time.

Not a lot of news since my last post.  Ed is still doing fine and has another doctor's appointment this week, so hopefully his tests look good.  He does continue to be tired and just does not have the energy that he once had.  Last week some friends came over to help him redo the roof on our back porch.  We are so thankful for their help and now there are no leaks when it rains!

One of the two skylights installed as part of redoing the porch roof.

Dan is still looking for work and applying for a number of jobs, but so far, no bites.  On one hand, it gives him the flexibility he needs for attending upcoming graduation-related events and he's able to play some golf as well.  But it can be discouraging, so if you know of any architects, let us know so we can pass Dan's name on.  I truly believe it will only be word-of-mouth that will get his resume to rise to the top of the pile.

For me, April meant dealing with two annoying issues.  One was a broken tooth.  I bit down one evening and had sharp pain and made a note to call my dentist.  However, a couple days later it was feeling better, so I ignored it (I wonder where I get that from--Mom!).  Well, Friday evening (yes, after the dentist office was closed for the weekend), the tooth broke.  Saw my dentist on Monday and ended up getting a crown.  I am surely thankful I have dental insurance!  Also, last month, several days after my 5K, my left hip began to bother me.  Not sure why and I never had any problems beforehand.  So I tried ignoring it--which didn't work; tried working through it--which didn't work; and then I took a week and did no running or walking and just rested it--and that seemed to do the trick!  I'm back on the treadmill and have starting small amounts of running (yesterday I did 15 mins).  I was going to do another 5K on May 12th, but it was postponed for some unknown reason--which was probably good because I probably would have tried running it when I wasn't really ready!

In other news, Ed and Dan went to a Red Sox game yesterday. The tickets were a Christmas gift from me to the both of them.  Unfortuntely the Red Sox lost, but the weather stayed nice (no rain) and they really liked their seats.
A view from their seats

So, all-in-all, a good month.  As I said, I do love the month of May!

My Lily-of-the-Valleys are blooming early.  I've loved these flowers since I was a kid and remember them growing near the side of the house on Granville Road!

A not-great picture of a small hawk on our back porch.  Hope it doesn't try to eat all the small birds around the house!

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...