Saturday, January 23, 2016

T-Shirts

Today I finished cleaning out the dresser drawers in the bedroom.  I wasn't planning on it.  I had some gifts I needed to put away from Christmas that were still sitting out.  So as I tried to make room, I found myself organizing and sorting through my drawers.  I sorted through the "sock" drawer which contains half my socks and half of some of Ed's socks that I held onto.  You know, those Hanes-type socks that I could wear while working in the yard and not worry about ruining.  I had sorted through them in the first year.  Today I sorted again and purged more still keeping an adequate supply for those dirty, summer jobs.

There were three drawers of Ed's t-shirts that have been left untouched.  I wore some of these shirts.  Mostly as "work" shirts.  Shirts I didn't mind ruining or getting dirty while at the same time finding comfort in wearing what were his clothes.

As I rearranged my clothes and realized I could benefit from using those three drawers, I began the sorting process.  Three piles--a pile of shirts I would keep as my "work" shirts or to lounge around the house; a pile of shirts I have no need for; and a pile of shirts that reminded me specifically of Ed.

The dresser drawers are now well organized.  I have a bag of clothes to donate and I still have one drawer of "Ed's shirts".  The closets still need work.  Mine needs to be organized badly and, at some point, I do need to continue cleaning out Ed's closet.  It's about two-thirds done.  What I've learned though is that you can't rush it.  I will get to the rest of his closet when it feels right.  There is no planning, it just seems to happen and so I will go with that.  Thankfully, I'm in no rush and can take my time, just like today.

The one remaining drawer of Ed's shirts that I was not able to part with today.  Special memories...

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...