Sunday, February 7, 2016

Superbowl Sunday

The sun is shining this morning and the sky is a crisp, clear blue without a cloud in sight.
The sun reflects brightly off the snow that fell two days ago.
I sit here in my warm house, slowly enjoying a warm cup of coffee.
It is silent.  The only noise in the house is the clicking of the heater.
There is no noise outside.  The snow provides a blanket of quiet.

And I am content.  For the moment.
For I know how quickly this can change.
The quietness will turn into loneliness which will just remind me of my loss.
But for now, I will be content.

I have set out for 2016 to be the year about "me".  I know that can sound selfish.  But after almost three years, I'm trying to figure out what makes me feel better, more restful, more peaceful, more content.  I'm not quite sure about "happy" yet.  I'm learning to recognize the glass half full, but it does not come easy.  Oh how I miss the girl from three years ago.  How joyful and innocent I was.

Today is Superbowl Sunday.  Do I care about football?  Not really.  But Ed loved it and watched it every week so it was always on. For me, the Superbowl was about Ed cooking a pot of chili on the stove and various food for the game.  I still recall the ribs he'd slowly cook--yum, one of my favorites and he knew it.

So today I will have a meal cooking, no ribs, but a low-calorie crock pot meal, and I'll watch the game to see the commercials and halftime show.  If I'm lucky, I'll share comments via text with close friends.

I will enjoy being home in my warm house.
Where the silence will be replaced by the noise of the TV.
Where the smells of dinner will fill the air.
Where texting with friends will be my company.  They won't replace Ed, but they will help fill the void.
And for that, I'm grateful.
It should be a good day.
And I will be content...

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...