Sunday, May 4, 2014

And the beats goes on...

That about sums up the last week.  I continue to have a long list of "to do's" and as the weather is getting nicer (well, at least some days), this list now includes yard work.  I am, though, enjoying the fresh, crisp spring air and it feels so good to be outside after such a long, cold winter.

This past week I signed up to participate in Relay for Life.  I feel I need to find a good cause and invest some time and energy in helping to battle our fight against cancer.  Is this the cause I will stick with in the coming years?  I don't know.  But it's something I can do right now and so I'll make this commitment.  I had met a woman back in March who is a team captain and whose daughter is currently fighting cancer.  So it was easy to find a team to be part of.  If you have any interest in donating to my team, my personal page can be found here:


I continue to find happiness and appreciation in small things.  This past week I had dinner with "G" and it was nice to catch up and also be able to talk about Ed freely and not avoid the mention of his name.  That was really nice.  I also had dinner with "M" and then we went to see the movie "Heaven is for Real".  Of course, the book is better, but they did a good job making the book into a movie which was not an easy thing to do.

Thank you "K" for your hugs and kind words this past week as well.  You are such a special person and I hope you know that.  Know how much I appreciate your thoughtful words and kind gestures.  I'm saving those protein bars for my next 5K!  And lucky me had Dan, Nate, and Matt here for the weekend.  They are such good guys and are so good to me.

So I've clearly gotten over "my mood" and I can better appreciate the good in my life.  Yes, there is still sadness and I know we're approaching the anniversary of Larry's passing and I'm saddened when I see Kay's children cleaning out her house.  But I'm able to keep functioning; to keep moving forward.

I have made it through the first year.  This does not mean I'm over my grief.  I feel I'm now moving into the next phase which I feel is figuring out who I am and what my life is.  This past year has been about surviving.  Now I need to figure out how to begin living again and defining who I am.  I'm not afraid of this.  I am determined and I have made a commitment to myself that I will do what I feel is right, what I want to do, and not necessarily what others think is "right" or what they expect me to do.  Yes, year 2 is about being a bit selfish.  It's about me.  Year 2 has begun and I'm less afraid...

Dan, Nate, Matt--I love these guys!
Spring has arrived!  My little memory garden.

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...