Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fall Has Arrived

Okay, how did we go from early September to the end of September??  Somewhere in there I lost a couple weeks!

Not a lot to report, but since it's been a while, I figured I'd give you some brief updates.

Ed is tolerating his current treatments (Irinotecan, Avastin, and Xeloda).  He definitely is not as fatigued as when he was on the previous regimen.  However, one side effect of this combination is high blood pressure so he's taking a 2nd medication to help manage that and needs to check his blood pressure regularly.  Dr. Bower is also keeping an eye on protein in the urine since that's a side effect as well and why Ed had to discontinue this regimen earlier this year (since protein in the urine can lead to kidney failure).  Yesterday Ed let me know that he's noticing some hair loss.  (The pile of hair in the drain after showering is getting bigger.)  He does NOT want to lose his hair again and this really pisses him off.  But I try to remind him that this is minor compared to the alternative.  Easy for me to say though, right?  As we all know, losing your hair is that outward sign that says "cancer patient".

I know folks keep asking when his next CT scan is and the truth is I don't know.  He only has treatments scheduled through this week.  So based on how the bloodwork looks this week, Dr. Bowers will either extend his current treatment plan or will order a CT scan.  So I should know more later this week.

In other news, Ed and Dan made a ramp for our new shed last week, so that's done!




Still no leads for Dan on a job.  I know it's discouraging for him.  However, both him and Ed are enjoying the fact that they can play golf together whenever they want.  In fact, they played together earlier this month in a "King of the Grove" contest.  Ed won (his third time) and Dan lost (so he got his money back).  They're playing another tournament tomorrow and are looking forward to that.

So we're doing good.  Enjoy these last few days of September.  I know I plan to!

No comments:

My Story

Lately I find myself moving through the days, being with others, laughing, and living life. Days pass quickly and grief, sadness, and feelin...